Friday 17 January 2014

Tutorial: Greenstuff Pustules / Armour Studs

Over at Talk Fantasy Football I'm organising a Legacy Team project (a bunch of people sign up to paint and contribute a player to a pre-agreed Blood Bowl team; a lottery determines the winner who gets the whole lot).

This year, it's a Nurgle themed Chaos team, and my contribution is a disease-addled Pestigor (beastman of Nurgle):

WIP Pestigor conversion
 

He's a conversion from one of my Beast Face Miniatures beastmen. I've plagued him up a bit with some warts/bubos, given him a little nurgling companion, a belly and a slightly more padded rear end! I still need to do the horns which will be getting something suitably nurgly in due course (I'm thinking those worm-like horns on the Bob Olley Pestigors).

While I was taking pics, I thought I'd do a quick tutorial on making simple warts in case anyone wants to try it on their figures (also useful for creating armour studs and the like).

Tutorial: Greenstuff Pustules / Armour Studs:

Step 1: Roll out a small blob of greenstuff

Step 2: Flatten the greenstuff on the surface you want the wart/stud, to ~1-2mm thick using a sculpting tool or similar.

Step 3: Stamp out the wart using the nib of an engineering pencil. Make sure you lubricate your engineering pencil (I dip it in water) otherwise the greenstuff will stick. Press down hard to the surface you are attaching it too (like using a biscuit cutter)

Step 4: Carefully pull away the excess greenstuff using the blade of a sculpting tool or craft knife

Step 5: Finished wart (I did the tutorial one a bit roughly, but you can see what the results can look like on the inset pic)

The technique can be used for pustulant Nurgle warriors, warty Trolls, armour studs and reinforcement on shields. I've found it particularly useful in studding up Blood Bowl players and its much more effective than my old technique of trying to roll out tiny little studs with my fingers!

Hope it's useful!

2 comments:

  1. I learnt a nice trick which is to superglue those little balls you find in water filters, you can glue just one or several and then blend them with liquid GS or PVA glue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - good tip! Someone else mentioned that to me recently as well.

    ReplyDelete